The Building Societies Association
The Building Societies Association (BSA) represents mutual lenders and deposit takers across the UK, including all 46 UK building societies.
Mutuals are owned by their customers - or members, as they are known - and have successfully looked after savings and lent money to finance house purchase for more than two hundred years. Mutuals are not driven by external shareholder pressure which means they operate in the interests of their members and the communities in which they are located.
Mutuals consistently provide better service and higher customer satisfaction than other financial service providers. They outperform plc banks across various aspects of customer service, including treating customers fairly, value for money and being trusted to give good advice.
Learn about mutual lenders and deposit takers, including building societies, and the benefits of mutuality.
- Looking for a lost building society account? Try our FREE tracing service.
- Transferring your cash ISA This leaflet outlines a typical Cash ISA transfer process.
- Junior ISAs - Tax free savings for children Download our explanatory leaflet.
- Can't pay your mortgage? Helpful advice from the BSA and the Money Advice Trust.
Discover our views on a wide range of policy issues affecting mutual lenders and deposit takers.
- Mortgage policy Our views on the FSA's Mortgage Market Review, responsible lending and other key issues. Plus links to research, publications, responses and submissions on mortgage related issues.
- Savings policy Responses, submissions, press releases and other savings policy related resources.
- Consumer Relations Policy Find a wealth of information related to our work on consumer policy matters.
Explore our industry publications, factsheets, advice leaflets, magazines and newsletters.
- Society Matters Get behind the headlines of the BSA’s policies - subscribe to our quarterly magazine.
- Customer service at mutuals Independent research has found that customer service at mutuals is better than at banks.
- Annual Report Our Annual Report 2011
We represent mutual lenders and deposit takers, including all the UK's building societies.
- BSA members View a list of our members, including all the UK's building societies.
- Associates Our Associates include mutual insurance companies, a savings bank, representatives of the co-operative sector, and suppliers of business services.
- Become an Associate of the BSA Join us as an Associate for networking, knowledge and recognition and enjoy a range of member benefits.
This area of our website provides journalists with easy access to information about the BSA and the building society sector.
- Support Financial Mail's campaign to change unfair ISA rules
- Press releases View all press releases from the BSA.
- Articles and speeches Locate recent articles, speeches and BSA consultations on industry issues.
- Image library Images of BSA spokespeople.
Find stats, facts and figures on mutual lenders and deposit takers in the UK, including building societies, the latest survey results and more.
- Sector information Operational and financial statistics about the mutual lenders and deposit takers sector, including building societies.
- Stats on the UK mortgage market
- Stats on the UK retail savings market
- Property Tracker How people view the property market.
We organise numerous knowledge sharing, educational and networking events, many of which are open to non-member organisations.
- Events diary View the full programme of events.
Our modern and flexible meeting facilities are available to hire at competitive rates.
- Meetings package Our comprehensive meetings package includes use of audio-visual equipment, refreshments and WiFi.
- Meeting rooms View images and specifications of our meeting rooms, suitable for business gatherings of up to 30 people.