Deputy Chief Risk Officer
Competitive salary and benefits package
Full-time permanent position
Chalfont St Giles Office, Buckinghamshire
- Exceptional opportunity for an unusually capable and ambitious team player from a risk, compliance or audit background, who has already achieved significant experience and success in this area and has the desire to progress their career to the highest levels in a regulated financial services organisation.
- This exciting new position would suit a professional of proven capability looking to make a significant leap towards Chief Risk Officer, capable of ranging across all areas of Risk and Compliance in an established, growing and ambitious building society.
- You will need to demonstrate an ability to adapt collaboratively and effectively to dealing with colleagues in different functions, senior management and Board interactions, extensive regulatory interactions, as well as colleagues in the Risk function.
This is a newly created opportunity within the team with responsibilities including:
- Deputising fully for the existing CRO in SMF4, SMF 16 and SMF17 functions.
- Preparing Board and Committee papers and presenting to those meetings where required.
- Stress testing, scenario analysis and forecasting in relation to credit risk, interest rate risk, capital and liquidity adequacy.
- Supporting the CRO in Prudential and Conduct Risk Management, providing real insight to support the business in continuous improvement.
- Carrying out thorough assurance reviews in accordance with the Combined Assurance Plan and liaising with the business to ensure timely, effective implementation of recommendations.
- Delivering Operational Resilience, Regulatory change projects and approving Financial Promotions.
A full job specification can be provided upon request and will be provided ahead of interviews.
Our Risk & Compliance team consists of 4 people and is headed up by our Chief Risk Officer. We operate ‘three lines of defence’ with our team being the second line, there to challenge and actively support our first line. The Society itself is comprised of 45 staff all based at the Society’s office in Chalfont St. Giles. As a regulated financial services organisation, there is an intense and evolving requirement for professionalism and excellence in the Risk function. As a team, we are developing the business ambitiously, based on capital and liquidity strength, retaining a strong Mutual ethos and a passion for ‘doing the right thing’ for our Members and all of our stakeholders. This role would suit an individual who is self-motivated, but excels in an environment of teamwork and innovation.
The Skills That We Require:
- Demonstrable success in a second line assurance role or third line audit role, from within a Financial Services environment – ideally with experience of a broad range of risk disciplines e.g. ICAAP, ILAAP, Recovery Plan; assurance of Regulatory Returns; Operational Resilience; and Credit Risk.
- Good knowledge of the regulatory requirements applicable to Building Societies.
- Self starter – with demonstrable ability to work with a team in a collaborative manner or independently.
- Strong research skills - naturally inquisitive, keen to continuously develop risk and compliance knowledge, with excellent attention to detail.
- Strong analytic capabilities, able to efficiently and reliably create realistic and useful stress tests, scenario analysis and forecasts.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, demonstrating the ability to present information clearly and concisely, thereby achieving a high level of engagement.
- Calm and approachable with a resilient “can do” attitude.
The Buckinghamshire Building Society was founded in 1907 and as a Member owned Mutual, with no shareholders, our emphasis is firmly on providing value to existing and new Members through competitive savings and mortgage products. We source mortgages across the full range of product niches via a nationwide broker network and funded by a constantly evolving retail savings book. We have approximately 10,000 savings customers and nearly 2,000 borrowers. We are a highly progressive society with very strong capital and liquidity foundations, a strongly growing business based on evolving risk management, excellent regulatory relationships and striving to be the best small building society in the country. Our internal culture places enormous emphasis on teamwork behaviours. As a society we value tangible involvement with our local community and frequently support local events, schools, clubs and charities. Our motto of "doing the right thing" is at the heart of everything we do.
The Buckinghamshire Building Society is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to actively promoting diversity and inclusion.
To apply, please email your CV and a short covering letter detailing your salary expectations to:-
Katie Oldfield, Human Resources – firstname.lastname@example.org
Buckinghamshire Building Society
Chalfont St. Giles