Chalfont St Giles, Buckinghamshire
The Buckinghamshire Building Society was founded in 1907 and is a Mutual Society, owned by the Members. Our emphasis is firmly on providing value to existing and new Members through competitive products both in the saving and borrowing sides of the business. As a Society we recognise the importance of helping the local community and frequently support local events, schools, clubs and charities. We have recently won two prestigious awards at the Mortgage Finance Gazette Awards; Best Local Building Society and Mortgage Product innovation 2019.
We are currently recruiting for a Finance Director to join our Board team. Reporting to the Chief Executive, the main purpose of the Finance Director is to have primary responsibility and accountability for the planning, implementation, control and management of all financial related activities including the development of financial and operational strategies.
The Finance Director will be strategic and directive, but with a hands-on approach, possessing commercial awareness and technical ability, advising on the best path of growth for the Society.
The role sits within the Executive Leadership Team and is a Board position. Typical duties will include:
- Monitor and direct the strategic business plans in particular capital and liquidity
- Provide leadership to the Board’s Finance and Accounting strategy
- Ensure effective internal controls are in place for compliance with regulatory legislation
- Manage with effective oversight the Finance function (currently 4, rising to 5) with direct line management responsibility for the Financial Controller
- Responsible for the Treasury Management Function and Prudential requirements including regulatory reporting
- Contribute to the development of company strategy across all areas of the Society
- Ensure that Society financial systems are robust, compliant and support current activities and future growth
- To work with the CRO to review, monitor, track and report on all appropriate risks (including updating the Risk Register as appropriate)
- Ensure that the regulatory requirements of all statutory bodies are met
Skills, Qualification, Knowledge and Experience Required:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent and be a Qualified Accountant (ACA, ACCA or CIMA)
- Strong finance leader with a hands-on approach and a strategic and operational finance track record from a market-leading financial services institution, preferably a bank or building society. Experience gained in financial professional services also considered
- Previous experience of treasury and capital management and familiarity with ICAAP and ILAAP submission
- Board level calibre with the ability to build credible relationships and influence at a senior level
Personal Qualities / Skills:
- Respect for the Society’s culture of “Doing the Right Thing” and a commitment to maintaining it throughout the organisation, leading by example
- High integrity and openness, combined with a commitment to good governance
- Ability to successfully create and lead a strong finance team, growing and developing others to create strong succession for the organisation
- Emotionally intelligent (aware of impact on others) and resilient and people-focussed, with an appropriate balance of confidence and humility
- A natural affinity with the concepts of mutuality and ability to be an ambassador for the Bucks in the local community
Please apply confidentially by emailing your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com. Alternatively, for an informal and confidential discussion please call our office on 020 8777 5833 and ask for Tim Betts or Claire Phillips.
All third party and direct applications will be forwarded to Ultimate Banking.