Non Executive Director
About The Company
Mansfield Building Society can trace its roots back to 1870 but don’t let that fool you into thinking this is a backward facing organisation. Since that time The Mansfield’s assets have grown to more than £440m yet it remains as committed to its mutual heritage as it ever has. In fact, its People First philosophy earned the Society “Outstanding” recognition in the Best Companies awards 2021.
To this day the former ‘North Nottinghamshire Permanent Benefit Building Society’ remains headquartered in Mansfield, with ancient Sherwood Forest on its doorstep. Whilst the Mansfield apple hasn’t fallen far from the tree, its mortgage and savings proposition extends across much of the UK with lending in Scotland now an integral part of its extensive mortgage proposition.
During 2020 the Society invested in a new flagship branch located in the town’s Market Place. This fresh modern facility, in a prominent central location, gives the Society the opportunity to better serve existing members whilst attracting more local and loyal saving members over the longer term. It also provided a cost effective way of creating more Head Office space which had become necessary following successive years of strong growth.
Alongside investment in its branch network, the Society has also accelerated investment in technology to complement its traditional distribution channels – not only does this investment provide greater choice, it also meets the needs of members who are becoming increasingly comfortable buying and transacting online.
The Society’s growth strategy remains centred on meeting the needs of mainstream borrowers as well as underserved segments of the mortgage market where the Society is able to balance its risk-appetite with an appropriate risk-return.
In 2020, the Society launched its new online Mortgage Switching Portal, enabling existing borrowers to transfer to a new loyalty product from the comfort of their own home, and a new Buy to Let Calculator to help landlords and mortgage intermediaries calculate affordability against the Society’s rental income requirements quickly and easily online.
Achieving continued growth in interest income has enabled the Society to make further investment in strengthening its people and the infrastructure necessary to support sustainable growth. This important investment ensures that the Society will continue to have the resource and systems of control necessary to manage risks, meet regulatory requirements, keep pace with market developments, and ensure that the Society continues to deliver value to its members.
Notwithstanding the ongoing challenges brought about by the pandemic and increased market pressure, the Society remains well placed to maintain its strong capital position whilst adapting to the needs of current and future members.
As part of normal succession planning the Mansfield Building Society are looking to appoint two Non-Executive Directors (NEDs) to serve on the board. The first is to replace the outgoing Chair of Risk (this role is an SMF10 role and will require regulator approval) and the second NED will ideally have a strong background in one of the following:
- Customer experience / optimisation (be it gained from digital customers, direct branch or intermediaries)
- Development of the digital customer experience
- Intermediary / distribution knowledge
We will consider a first time Non-Executive Director as long as they are experienced at operating at Board level and possess the right skill set and experience.
In order to fulfil their role, the NED will commit on average 3 days per month.
To balance the overall skills represented at Board this candidate will ideally have a strong background in one or more of the following:
• Customer experience / optimisation (be it gained from digital customers, direct branch or intermediaries)
• Development of the digital customer experience
• Intermediary / distribution knowledge
Key skills and experience:
• They will demonstrate a successful business career to date and have operated at Board level or senior management level with interaction at Board level. Relevant commercial acumen with a willingness/appetite to adapt to changing conditions and generate effective pragmatic business solutions is essential.
• An ability to constructively challenge and help develop strategy, in addition to participating actively in the decision making process of the Board and scrutinising management performance in meeting agreed goals and objectives.
• An ability to operate in an organisation that has a short reporting line and is nimble.
• A strong customer centric focus is key.
How to Apply
Please send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com