The BSA is working in partnership with Leeds Building Society to offer its members the opportunity to undertake an online Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) training course, accredited by MHFA England, to complement the development of the mental health wellbeing strategy and support within your workplace.
Organisations will be able to introduce or expand the role of a Mental Health First Aider (MHFA), through completion of this practical skills and awareness course, designed to give delegates:
- A deeper understanding of mental health and the factors that can affect people’s wellbeing, including their own
- Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues
- Confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress
- Enhanced interpersonal skills, such as non-judgemental listening
- Knowledge to help someone recover their health, by guiding them to appropriate support.
By attending a MHFA course, research and evaluation shows that:
- Awareness and mental health literacy is increased
- Stigma around mental ill health is reduced
- Knowledge and confidence in dealing with mental health issues is boosted, and
- Early intervention, which enables recovery, is advocated.
The training will be delivered by an accredited MHFA England training instructor from Leeds Building Society, who's been working in partnership with the BSA since 2018 and has trained 87 BSA members as Mental Health First Aiders. The course will be delivered through four facilitated sessions, using Zoom, plus some self-directed coursework completion, a total of 15 hours learning in total.
Two online courses are being offered during 2021 and the course is delivered over a 2 week period either:
• Course One: delivered between 24 June - 6 July 2021
• Course Two: delivered between 14 - 26 October 2021
The course is offered at the discounted rate to BSA members of £30 per delegate (RRP £300 per learner), to cover course materials and postal costs, with Leeds Building Society providing the MHFA Instructor free of charge.
If you are interested in attending please email Wendy Harrison, Mental Health First Aider Instructor (Adults) at Leeds Building Society, with your preferred dates of attendance.
Due to the nature of the training numbers will be limited to 16 delegates