Policy brief

Forms and Templates

Certification by a Professional Consultant

The BSA Mortgage Instructions (section C.15) set out that in certain instances lenders will only lend on a newly built (or newly converted) property where the property is covered by a warranty scheme or supported by a certificate from a Professional Consultant.

The certificate must be completed and signed by a Professional Consultant with one or more of the following qualifications:

  • fellow or member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (FRICS or MRICS)
  • fellow or member of the Institution of Structural Engineers (F.I.Struct.E or M.I.Struct.E)
  • fellow or member of the Chartered Institute of Building (FCIOB or MCIOB)
  • fellow or member of the Architecture and Surveying Institute (FASI or MASI)
  • fellow or member of the Association of Building Engineers (FB.Eng or MB.Eng)
  • member of the Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists (formally British Institute of Architectural Technologists) (MCIAT)
  • architect registered with the Architects Registration Board (ARB). An architect must be registered with the Architects Registration Board, even if also a member of another institution, for example the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA), or
  • fellow or member of the Institution of Civil Engineers (FICE or MICE).


Link to the pdf of the certificate

Disclosure of Incentives on new build transactions

The BSA Mortgage Instructions require the full disclosure of cash and non-cash incentives for certain new build transactions. This is to ensure that the mortgage offer reflects the true and accurate value of the property being purchased.

In 2008, lenders, valuers and home builders/developers agreed an approach the disclosure of incentives by the seller. The BSA Mortgage Instructions maintain the existing arrangements for this disclosure.

This includes the seller/home builder completing a form and providing this to the lender’s valuer.

The form and guidance on its use can be accessed via the link below, and from the RICS, Home Builders Federation and Homes for Scotland websites.

Disclosure of Incentives Form

Disclosure of Incentives FAQs

Link to RICS website

Link to Home Builders Federation website

Link to Homes for Scotland website


The BSA Team