THIS COURSE IS FULLY BOOKED.
Please contact the events team if you're interested in attending.
In recent years the recognised career path to mortgage underwriter has changed substantially, partly due to the changing nature of mortgage advice. This intensive two-day course, in partnership with the Chartered Insurance Institute (CII), has been designed to equip underwriters with the knowledge required to carry out their role effectively.
- Know the structure and main features of the residential mortgage market.
- Understand the house (and leasehold flat) buying process and all of its components including costs, the conveyancing process and the legal aspects of home ownership including the nature of searches, covenants etc., and Joint Tenants and Tenants in Common.
- Appreciate the nature and main features of conduct and prudential risk within the mortgage environment.
- Understand the main features of a mortgage (both residential and buy to let).
- Learn the role of interest only and repayment vehicles.
- Recognise the main regulatory and legal requirements applicable to the provision of mortgage lending, including:
- The content and purpose of the legal documentation. Offer Document, Mortgage
T&Cs, and Mortgage Deed/Charge
- The impact of Unfair Contract Terms and anti-money laundering legislation
- Understand the features and differences between basic valuation reports, homebuyer reports and structural surveys, encompassing:
- The value and limitations of automated valuation models (AVM)
- How to interpret mortgage valuations
- Use of audit valuations
- Use of websites to assess a property’s attributes
- The role and responsibilities of surveyors in respect of each
- The nature of house price movements
- Lenders’ requirements in respect of property insurance.
- Understand the FCA principles of treating customers fairly.
- Know the rules governing data protection.
- Appreciate the basics of property construction, types and the acceptability of different types of construction as security.
- Different types of security, including Mortgage Charge, lien over cash, Mortgage Indemnity Guarantee policy etc.
Trainee underwriters, mortgage advisers that wish to broaden their skillset and those employed in a product development or risk capacity.
"Ian kept the course interesting and involved everyone to keep us engaged. He used real life scenarios explain certain terms I had never had never heard of before."
"Great trainer, very helpful and knowledgeable in his field."
"The course has been fun, interactive and very informative. It provides a lot of useful information that can be used in day to day activities in underwriting."
(Delegate feedback from our March 2022 course)
09:30 to 16:30 each day (approx.)
£895 per delegate (VAT exempt) - BSA Members/Associates only
This course is now fully booked. Please email the events team if you're interested in attending. Further dates will be confirmed in due course.