New Chair elected at Building Societies Association

Rob Pheasey, Chief Executive of the Marsden Building Society, has been elected as the new Chair of the Building Societies Association (BSA).  He takes up this role with immediate effect. 

Rob Pheasey, Chief Executive of the Marsden Building Society, has been elected as the new Chair of the Building Societies Association (BSA).  He takes up this role with immediate effect. 

Rob has held the post of Deputy Chair since May 2021 and succeeds Mark Bogard, Chief Executive of the Family Building Society.

Commenting on his election, Rob Pheasey said:

“I’m delighted to be taking on the role of BSA Chair, and in a wider context, the support provided by the Association to the mutual sector.

“The year ahead will see member organisations delivering on their regulatory priorities, with milestones surrounding the FCA Consumer Duty and anticipated changes in response to the PRA Strong & Simple regime. In all matters impacting the mutual sector, the BSA continues to play a significant part of the stakeholder engagement.

“The Boards of mutual organisations will define and deliver their own strategies, navigating their business through the individual challenges and opportunities we face, but also through common themes including digitalisation, diversity & inclusion and sustainability.

“It will be interesting to see how organisations continue to deploy their operating models, having transitioned through the pandemic to hybrid and flexible working. For many, trading performance has been strong, with more consideration given to the deployment of remote working and of course, colleague well-being.

“Changes in consumer behaviour are also evident. Membership is key to the mutual business model, with building societies and credit unions ideally placed to respond to the challenges our members face around financial resilience. A challenge we do not see easing off in the short term.  

“For many, there has been an increase in the adoption of digital and a higher priority attached to convenience. How we, as mutual organisations, continue to respond to these changes will be a significant aspect of how we plan for the future.

“There is an assured, yet understated confidence from mutual organisations, our heritage building consumer confidence, and an ambition that allows us to grow and remain relevant. After all, that’s what we’re good at, and I look forward to playing my part in the period ahead.”


Press contacts:

Tanya Jackson, tanya.jackson@bsa.org.uk Tel: 07881 501098

Katie Wise, katie.wise@bsa.org.uk Tel: 020 7520 5904

Notes to Editors:

About Rob Pheasey

Rob has worked in financial services for over three decades, holding senior positions including Operations Director at the Marsden Building Society before being appointed Chief Executive in 2011. He holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Information Technology. With a breadth of business knowledge, he is a well-rounded advocate for the mutual sector which he feels passionately about.

At work, Rob has a strong customer and financial focus, leading the Society in its strategy of growing for scale, underpinning the continued investment in its people, branch distribution, community engagement and digital transformation.

Rob was a former Chair of the Northern Association of Building Societies and has been a member of the BSA Council since March 2018, appointed Deputy Chair in May 2021.

Away from the sector, he serves as Chair of the Pendle Education Trust and, until 2021, was a Non-Executive Director at Nelson & Colne College Group, holding that position for 16 years.

About the BSA

The Building Societies Association represents all 43 UK building societies, as well as 7 credit unions. Building societies have total assets of nearly £500 billion and, together with their subsidiaries, hold residential mortgages of over £366 billion, 23% of the total outstanding in the UK. They hold over £342 billion of retail deposits, accounting for 18% of all such deposits in the UK. Building societies account for 41% of all cash ISA balances. They employ approximately 51,500 full and part-time staff and operate through approximately 1,288 branches.